The role of a Doula
A doula is a trained, non-medical companion who assists a woman during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Having a doula is also very complimentary to our Positive Birth Program. Doulas offer additional support to families who are striving for a smooth and positive childbirth experience, regardless of the setting you choose: Hospital, Birth Centre, or Home. Having a Doula’s support can improve your experience and give you a chance to keep your birth space sacred.
A doula can offer a treasure trove of information from non-medical pain relief management, different birthing positions, acupressure, breathing techniques, and more! Which can help take the pressure off the couple to remember everything, so they can focus on the tasks at hand.
The benefits of having a doula include:
- They serve as advocates and a ‘voice’ for the mother when she is most vulnerable during birth. Answer any questions that arise and create confidence.
- Work with the birthing mother to ensure she has the best birthing experience as possible.
- Ease the emotional experience of birth and also helps to create a space where the hormones of labour can work at their best. Whether a birth is completely unmedicated or not.
- Doula’s are there to support every birth partner in being involved as they’d like with the birth.
- Help you transition into parenthood both emotionally and physically.
- Assist you in having a successful breastfeeding journey.
We are very proud to now be providing Hypnobirthing Australia parents with a list of doulas who have been trained to support Hypnobirthing parents with the specific techniques and philosophical information aligned with your needs in hospital or home birth settings. These can be found in the Practitioner Directory, under the ‘Trained Hypnodoulas’ category. Click here to find a Doula closest to you.
If you’re based on The Gold Coast or Brisbane Queensland these are some recommended Doula services for you.
Brisbane – Cheryl Sheriff – trained nurse and midwife, certified doula and author of ‘Stalk Talk’.
Brisbane – Mae’t Pearson – independent midwife, certified Hypnobirthing Australia Practitioner and Doula.