This 7 minute video contains many gems of wisdom!
Professor of Midwifery, Cecily Begley (Trinity College, Ireland), was interviewed at a recent midwifery conference and she discussed the overmedicalisation of birth and ways that mothers and midwives can work together to change it.
In this video you will learn:
- How birth is a normal physiological function of the body which has become overly medicalised
- The cascade of intervention – labour disturbed, synthetic oxytocin, pethadine, epidurals, ‘breaking waters’, forceps or c-section caesarean delivery
- Why episiotomies are mostly unwarranted and should be considered an assault on women
- How women can access evidence based information regarding birth
- The trouble with most traditional forms of antenatal childbirth education classes
- Rising rates of intervention
- How mothers and midwives need to stand together to halt and change the over-medicalisation of birth